Saturday, December 11, 2010

Swing me to sweet slumber

I spoil my child. Medics say it can’t be done, not this early, but I spoil. I know it.

I spoil him because it spoils me too.

Cole doesn’t sleep well anywhere but his swing. The swing is borrowed from friends. it glides front to back or left to right. It’s automatic, it’s electronic, it’s a life-saver.

In it, he’ll sleep 4 hours easy, if not 5 and sometimes, once in a while, even 6. Oh sweet 6...

Anywhere else, the floor, his Pack N’ Play, his crib, he sleeps for two hours... maybe.

I don’t expect him to sleep much more than 4 hours a night, but the 1- and 2-hour alarm clock ails me, and I’m not even back to work yet.

My biggest concern is returning to the office. About that time, Cole will start to reach, grab and roll over, meaning he’s outgrown Miracle Swing.

Then what?

I don’t know if I can handle too many nights unsleeping when my employer relies on me during the day.

Advice? Anyone else have swing situations?

3 comments:

  1. I have no advice or suggestions....or babies. Errr....the other night I rolled over onto my cat while sleeping. Does that count?
    Love samantha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just happened upon your blog! I'm on my third motion loving baby now. We love swings and when they're older, we put them in the stroller for naptime and push them around the driveway or house until they zonk out. One thing I've read that seems to hold true for us is to use the swing/car/stroller to get them to sleep, but then stop the motion so they aren't reliant on it to stay asleep. Turning the swing off after he falls asleep will probably shorten those sleep periods at first, but in the long run, it'll help you transition to another method of getting him to sleep. They also sell things that attach to the crib and gently "shake" it, but same thing...use it to get to sleep, then turn it off. Enjoy your little one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOO great idea! I'll try it tonight!

    ReplyDelete