Friday, October 29, 2010

Frugal Feast Friday: seafood quesadillas

Families pinch their pennies tighter than the ears of an 8-year-old these days, so I thought I’d start a series on inexpensive, easy-to-make recipes. I chose easy-to-make ones because if you called me a "beginner" in the kitchen, I'd call you "too kind."

For example, I made biscotti once. The dessert was fine. The hand mixer was not. I fried its motor combining ingredients. And that’s a good day for me. 
In every recipe for this series, I plan to use products I find on sale. Shredded cheese was a bargain at 2/$3 at a local grocery store. Therein lies my inspiration. 
Note: I didn't include that store's name. BUT if any grocer, food supplier, kitchen-product sales person care to sponsor a post, I’d share the name, many times, them as long as readers are aware. E-mail me up, let’s make a deal.   
Anyways, this post’s recipe I modified from Redbook Magazine. PS: I modify every recipe. I never have all the right ingredients. I can’t help it. 
So: 
The Par-VENT-ing rendition of Redbook’s Shrimp and Crab Quesadilla
6 oz crabmeat (I sprung for the real stuff even though imitation is cheaper. The recipe called for 8 oz, but crab comes in 6 oz packages)
10 oz shrimp (Again, I don’t follow directions. The recipe called for 8 oz, but since I didn’t have enough crab, I supplemented with shrimp.)
1/2 cup corn kernels
1/2 cup chunky salsa
1/4 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese (The recipe called for pepper jack, but I didn't have any... whoops)
8 tortillas
extra sour cream, salsa and shredded lettuce for topping
1). Peel and slice shrimp.


2). Combine all ingredients in large bowl.



3). Cook quesadillas on medium heat in a non-stick skillet.



4). Top it with a second tortilla and flip when cheese has melted. If the bottom tortilla puckers, flip ASAP. Leave it longer and it may burn. Experienced chefs probably already know this... :)




4). Use a pizza cutter to slice tortillas into four or six pieces. Top with lettuce, salsa and sour cream.


  
The recipe serves about six.
So I know this is “frugal” feast, and I spent $10 on meat for one meal, but I wanted to mix it up my entree. Worth it? Not if you consume all of it in one night. 
The leftovers had a more shrimpy/crab taste which = mmm. The first night I made it, the cheese and salsa overwhelmed the seafood flavor. Chicken or beef would have tasted just as nummy. In the future, I’d maybe combine all ingredients the night-, or at least a few hours before, allowing more time to blend so the shrimp- and crab flavor could take center stage.  
If I make this again: I’d add more vegetables like sliced olives and diced onions. I’d also garnish with fresh tomatoes too.


** BONUS GIVEAWAY: The Pampered Chef® 29 Minutes to Dinner, Volume 2

Fifty-six quick, easy and smart dinnertime recipes for the family, designed to be on your table in 29 minutes or less. Includes timesaving tips, tools and techniques to help you get in and out of the kitchen quickly. Chapters feature poultry, fish and seafood, beef and pork, and meatless. AND the new Season's Best Recipe Collection... a small cookbook with eight main dishes that cost around $2/serving.

To win: Leave a comment including your best money-saving tip and I'll chose one at random. Don't forget to include your e-mail address!! Contest closes at noon Sunday.

Thank you to Heidi Bear for the giveaway merchandise. Visit her Pampered Chef site: www.pamperedchef.biz/heidibear.

11 comments:

  1. Living in a city, I have the option of going to one of many grocery stores. Not only do I coupon clip, but I comparison shop in the ads as well. When there is a good deal on something that we eat a lot of (read: cereal/oatmeal), I'll stock up. The money we save is worth the time and energy.

    kevin.j.cleary@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your writing style. Your voice truly comes across in each blog you post. That being said, I'll keep you stocked in bacon for the next year if you'd be so kind as to "share" the Niman Ranch name. I know it's a shameless plug! :)

    ~Ashley (the office marketing mgr. adamantly rooting against the Fighting Irish because if I eat anymore doughnuts my button on my pants will surely pop!):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummm! I have most of these ingredients in my freezer from previous sales at the local grocery store. Our store has 12 hour sales 2X per year and I stock up on EVERYTHING - including shredded cheese which freezes wonderfully:) I think I'll try this as a GAME DAY treat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am now hungry. can you send samples?
    Eddie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just had my own version of seafood quesadillas the other night. Made cheaper by someone else making it ;) Haha, I'm with you though and if I have any good recipes that are "beginner" I'll send your way Katie. We had used Halibut in ours, but was delicious. I also loved adding avocados into mine :)

    An idea, I don't hunt or anything, but I have several friends that do. Needless to say they often don't have enough room in their own freezers to put all the meat they've killed this season. When asked, I say yes to all the extra venison. My freezer is full! Less money I spend at the grocery store for meat! They were even kind enough to ground half of it up for me :) So, hit up you're hunting friends! Katie, I know you don't have to worry about this with Levi as your hubby :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dear girl, obviously the money savings is in the meat - and even in your alternatives you ignored the #1 consumed protein in the world - PORK! Fresh shoulder or ham is perfect for roasting and shredding. And this time of year even pork loin is relatively inexpensive. (As long as you stay away from that overpriced "natural" stuff).

    Signed Dad's former roommate

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum Yum!! I'm going to have to make this sometime :)

    Oh, and one money-saving thing I like to do is the price-match at Walmart--if you can find a different store that carries an item at a cheaper price, buy the item at Walmart and tell the cashier how much it costs at the competing store. They will reduce the price for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your blog Kate.
    M

    ReplyDelete
  10. Would a Viking like this dish?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its great experience to visit your blog. It is very helpful and informative. Thanks for sharing it.
    Home GYM

    ReplyDelete