Tuesday, October 12, 2010

National Coming Out Day: a day late

My husband jokes that he wants three things for our child: happy, healthy and heterosexual.

Of course, he’ll love little baby no matter who little baby loves, but, life is typically easier if we stick with the status quo, right? Daddy just wants to protect him.

National Coming Out Day was Monday, Oct. 11. It’s a day to promote honesty, openness and support gay people coming out of the closet.

What would you do/do you do if your child is gay?

For me, I guess I figure... I’ll know. I don’t think my child would need a “coming out day” because it wouldn’t be some big secret. That, and I hope my child feels comfortable opening up to me... in regards to who he’s dating, complications at school, bullies on the bus and anything else.

A friend in college shared the story of how he came out to his brother. At 22, my friend still hadn’t come out to his parents. It's a shame he's had to wait so long, but HELLO! My friend likes to cook, decorate and can do the splits. Something’s up. Perhaps they already know?

My three wants for my child are happy, healthy and self-sufficient. Who he loves falls under the “happy” category to me. As long as that person makes my son happy and treats him with respect, that’s all I need. I don't care who he loves as long as my son is satisfied with his life and pays his bills on time.

My biggest worry is location. In rural areas, diversity is tough to find. If my child is gay, he'll likely be the only one in a 37 mile radius. I fear other students and residents will bully him, but all kids are bullied. Mostly I fear he won't know anyone like him, let alone find anyone to split a milkshake with on a Saturday night. I hope he isn't lonely... which can lead to an avalanche of other problems like depression, mental illness or other risky behaviors. Makes me sick to worry about that.

As long as my gives me grandbabies, he can date/marry who he wants.




So what do you think? Are you the parent of a gay child? What would you do if your child came out to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment