Thursday, October 28, 2010

Stuff I never thought about: the breast-milk bind

For two days, 130 miles separated me and my baby and given North Dakota's weather, snow, sleet and heavy winds covered nearly all of them.

While we were in Fargo for my husband's surgery, I gave my mother-in-law every ounce (and in some containers, less than that) of milk I'd stored when a feeding tube nourished baby in the NICU. I was fortunate to have the extra supply, another of the few *PLUSES* for babies born with health complications. Without the stockpile, we'd have fed him formula, which is fine. But what if baby gets used to and then prefers the powder on his palate? How do I beckon him back to the breast?

I like to breastfeed. I like the supposed health benefits and I love how inexpensive it is... the only cost to me is the increase in MY calorie consumption. A week or two worth of formula costs $20-$25 or more than $1,000 per year. The added benefit is the bonding time with mother and baby. My kid must hang out with me... I'd better get my fill now before he hits his teenage years and pretends to not know me :)

Because of my NICU supply, I knew I had enough milk reserve for two days, but did I have enough for three days if Mother Nature delayed us?

That's why I now have about four days worth of reserve and I plan to make more. According to La Leche League, if a mother needs to produce milk for two babies, she usually can. So to pump and save at least once each day wouldn't take away from my child's nourishment needs. Store some yourself so this situation doesn't happen to you.

Breast milk is produced on a supply and demand basis, so once the milk is used, the breast makes more, according to LLL. It doesn't run out after a specific number of ounces per day.

That's why some women donate and others store. To store an extra feeding, considering you have a decent pump, only takes about 15 minutes. Those reserves may come in handy if mom is ever sick, gone for longer than expected or enjoys one too many cocktails the night before.  

I hadn't considered this dilemma until the weather got wacky and plans threatened to change. Just thought I'd share. Hope it helps.

Any of you ever been in a breastfeeding bind?

No comments:

Post a Comment