Friday, October 8, 2010

What to pack for the labor and delivery room

Any mommy book or website will offer a list. Listen to them. They are experts. I’ve given birth once. But here’s what worked - and didn’t - for me.

Note: I talk about bleeding and nipples in this post. If that offends you, perhaps skip this one. :) Also, I've linked to some commercial sites on this post. None of them are sponsoring it. They are just businesses I patronized in this process.

* Always Extra Heavy Overnight Maxi with Flexi Wings: (the ones in the blue package with purple wrapping.) True: the hospital will likely send you home with ample supply, but they’re thick, uncomfortable and don’t cover as well. In short, they feel like a king size Twix bar between your legs. The Always maxis are longer than the Great Wall of China, but they stay in place and offer coverage when doctors tell you to prop your feet above your heart to reduce swelling... And all that leaning backwards can get really... messy.

* Nursing bras: I brought one, but ended up in the NICU for five days so I needed more. Many more. I had no idea nursing was so messy. A tip? Try the nursing camisoles. They come in small-, medium- and large-type sizes, which is nice because you never know what size you’ll be once your engorged and in pain. (I think I gained and shrunk two cup sizes in a week) Also invest in a box of nursing pads (about $8 for 60). The hospital will provide some but you’ll likely need more. Another tip? The nursing pads may come in a half-moon shape, but unfold them. You'll thank me when your at the shopping mall with two wet spots on your chest, wondering why your boobs resemble Niagara Falls. JCPenny and Kohls.com had the best selection of nursing bras I could find and Old Navy.com has some cute and not-too-expensive nursing tops. Tip No. 3? My cousin told me to avoid any nursing bra with wire.

* Cell phone, camera and all their appropriate chargers: Whoa, did my phone ring a lot throughout the labor and delivery process. And then all I wanted to do was take pictures of the precious babe and send them to everyone I knew. Plus, I got shipped to a NICU in another town. Chargers were vital. Also, if you have a laptop bring that too.

* Supportive coaches, friends, family members: as many as you can find. OK- maybe you don't want them in the delivery room per se, but let them help you before and after. I had people buying my lunch, washing my laundry, communicating with friends and relatives and packing my suitcase for the trip to the NICU. Even though my husband was with me, without that support group, we'd have wailed more than our newborn.

* Pretty lotion: or anything else that makes you feel like a woman. Except pretty underwear. Leave those at home. Note the Always EXTRA HEAVY overnight maxi...

* An outfit for photos: As much as I love shopping, I feel bad spending money on clothes when I should save the cash and spend it on diapers. But these photos are once-in-a-lifetime, so spend a few bucks and buy yourself a comfortable, yoga/sweat-pantsy type outfit to wear while the flashbulbs blind you. Also, pack some makeup, flat iron and hair dryer too. Add a photo-worthy outfit for dad to your tote too.

Advice from an adoptive mom:
Jamestown, N.D., resident Erin Romans took pictures at my wedding and also takes photos of families and children. When Erin adopted her son, she brought pajamas, warm socks, slippers, magazines and snacks for his birth mother. Erin and her husband also gave the birth mother a gift of the more heartfelt and long-lasting kind:
"We bought her a diamond necklace. It was a cross pendent and with 2 hearts in the middle symbolizing her heart and his. We wanted to give her something sentimental that she could wear and think of him," Erin said.

Other advice via Facebook and Twitter:
* Mountain Dew
* best maternity pants or dress, depending on weather
* yoga pants
* slippers
* your own robe: "The hospital provided robe kinda weirded me out so I was glad to have my own :)"- Amanda Haseleu, Underwood, N.D.
* ice packs that break and are instantly cold (for foreheads or other achy areas)
* back massage machine
* snacks and/or CASH for the vending machine: this is a good idea and I can't even take credit for it. Make sure to have cash on hand as some hospital cafeterias don't take credit cards. You don't want your loved ones leaving you for dinner or any other reason if they don't have too.

So what did you/do you intend to pack? Anything you wish you'd remembered but didn't?

No comments:

Post a Comment