Sunday, October 24, 2010

teaching my son the human races

One of my biggest fears, living and raising a family in North Dakota, is failing to expose my children to different cultures. Not only do I live in a state who's population is more than 90 percent white, but it's also mostly Christian and predominantly German- and Norwegian white. 

Don't get me wrong, living in a state so small and area so rural has SUPER advantages for child-rearing, namely, my child will never have to walk through metal detectors on his way to school. Check mark in the pro column. 

I grew up in a bigger city and at age four, still touched the head of a little black girl at Sesame Street Live. I wanted to know what her hair felt like. Even with my upbringing, I didn't and don't know nearly enough. 

I don't want my son to walk the graduation stage without ever meeting someone who's skin tanned faster than his does. 

So what to do? 

* Cable TV, movies, media is a start. Watch a show with black people in it. And if I'm feeling really civil rights-y, I can throw in "The Color Purple" or "How to Kill a Mockingbird." I guess that has potential. The problem is, reality TV is seldom (if ever) realistic. I don't want him getting the impression that these over-the-top personalities represent any one culture as a whole. And he won't have much by way of real people and local examples to teach him any different. 

* Art: I can't think of any other offering here that would expose him to more cultures and perspectives. Even if the project is a little cheesy, like: here, make a fan. That's what Asian people do... A project like that at least it opens the door for opportunities to explore that fan and the reasons and culture behind it. He and I can read books on the topic or research "Asia" on the internet. In fact, I like that idea. I'm pretty sure hand-held fans don't represent modern Asia, but perhaps making one represents an opportunity to explore another heritage. 

* Travel: Duh! It's the bottom line frightens me. On our budget, traveling to relatives and friends in Colorado and small-town Iowa will have to suffice. As much as I'd love summer vacations in India, Egypt and Ireland, something tells me they'll have to discover oil in LaMoure County first. 


So what would you do? How did you grow up? 

2 comments:

  1. Great blog Kate. When my son was a sophomore, he asked me to let him option into a school in a different part of town, so he could (among other reasons) be around "more diversity". He hated the suburban "Hollywood High" school that is our home district. I optioned him, and now my second daughter. I am so proud of them for making that decision and recognizing the need for diversity in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teresa Peters (Karr)October 25, 2010 at 10:42 AM

    Ahh Omaha had its diversity issues. I didn't really get much until college, but just teaching your child that skin differences don't matter is a good start. I remember going to a waffle house once as a young child and heard someone mention something about a 'black man'. Looking at him, I didn't see that his skin was black, but brown, and I didn't understand why it mattered to point out someone's skin color. Between hearing people call African-Americans "black" when they weren't and knowing that people continued to call Native Americans "Indians" when it was a mistake from the beginning, it made me become more culturally sensitive and I embraced college and life in Seattle where there is so much diversity. Showing TV shows with multiple cultures is definitely a plus. I think kids shows try to implement this mindset anyway.

    ReplyDelete